Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Do You Know What Books Are In Your Child's School Library?


In Zev's class, Wednesday's are library day.  Zev loves library day, and when I pick him up from school on library day, he enjoys looking at the book he borrowed on the way home in the car.  I'm usually regaled with "Look at this mommy - look at that mommy!" Usually the books he picks are about sports or Korea or science.  I enjoy it because I love to see him develop his own interests and get excited about what he learns.

Well, this Wednesday, Zevi gets in the car, and as Im pulling out of the school parking lot, he says, "Mommy!  When you get old your breast will hang low!!!"  My immediate reaction was, "OMG - what book do you have, kid??"

Lo and behold, said book is called It's So Amazing!  On the  whole, not a bad book.  Im pretty open about such subjects with Zev, and he knows, in theory, how babies are made and how they come out (we prepared him to be there with us during my delivery of Ami, so he saw the birthing  videos.) And we read the book together over the course of the following days.  Here's my problem though.......

The book says that its for ages 7 and up, and its geared toward children, true, however, I don't think it should be readily available to kids.  If a parent requests it, thats cool...but a child shouldn't just be able to get the book off the shelf.  I made a fuss about Imma On The Bimah, should I make a fuss about this one too? 

PS: Yes, Jewish Day School.  Yes, pics from the book. 

3 comments:

Lakewood Falling Down said...

I hear that book is included in the new "Bais Fayge" in Lakewood (http://www.vosizneias.com/24133/2008/12/11/lakewood-nj-crises-with-bais-faiga-school-over-1800-girls-back-in-class-on-monday/). Seriously, I think sexuality should be introduced only when a child is old enough to understand it about, ages 11 and up. Your conception of interactions goes through major shifts when hormones kick in. And thats my 2 cents.

Liz the Great said...

OMG. Okay - I happen to be a real "out there" kinda of chick and will never fully divulge everything I was up to in my 20s but I tend to be parochial about kids knowing about sex. Whatever happened to the really innocent stuff? Talking bears, and smiling pennies that go to tzedaka and their heart sings with gladness as a result. I dunno. Sex is a big topic - why are we rushing our kids out of their youth so fast? I have to agree with you. The book is indeed bothersome

Miriam said...

Wait, let me swallow hard. *gulp*

I think that should be addressed only from a certain age onwards. And that it shouldn't be too freely to take from the library.

I hope that's not prudish. lol.